Simplifying the Mortgage Process:
How Much Home Can You Afford?
On average, people buy or sell their home every 7 to 9 years. Since the real estate market and the transactional proceedings within it are constantly changing, most people are unfamiliar with the current guidelines designed to help them determine how much home they can afford to buy. An FM Lending Services loan officer could counsel you through the home financing process, assuring that you are comfortable with your decisions. Click here to begin the process of getting pre-approved for a loan.
Steps to Maintain Your Credit Scores
- At least once a year, review your credit reports. You can get free reports once a year from government-run www.annualcreditreport.com. You can also check more frequently and purchase copies directly from www.myfico.com.
- Get a major credit card
- Arrange automatic payments on every card or loan
- Do not let credit disputes go to collections.
- Spread out your debt and aim for 10% credit utilization.
- To lower debt utilization when you have high balances, move debt to installment debt.
- Move debt off your credit report entirely.
- Do not close credit card accounts or let them be closed.
- Apply for credit sparingly.
The Importance of Credit Scores
Credit scores are a three-digit number that serve as an indicator of a borrower's ability to repay a loan and the level of risk a lender will have to accept. These scores are based on credit history and may be used, along with credit reports, to either reject or accept a loan and may also be used to determine a loan's interest rate. The median credit score is 720 on the 300 - 850 FICO scale.